Working as a pharmacist in Sweden

In order to work as a pharmacist in the Swedish health care system, for example in pharmacies, hospital pharmacies and clinics, you are required to have a Swedish licence. Uppsala University organizes training and tests for foreign pharmacists who wish to acquire a Swedish licence.

To work in the pharmaceutical industry and private companies, it is up to each employer to define what requirements are needed for the job. A Swedish licence is not always required.

If you want to apply for a Swedish licence, you first need to show that you have the skills required to work in your profession in Sweden. In general there are two ways to reach your Swedish licence: through a complementary programme or a proficiency test.

Note! A good level of Swedish is necessary for both ways and should be studied before applying. What is also good to know is that these two ways are aimed for people who already is located in Sweden. If you are not located in Sweden all the steps will be more difficult and complicated. 

Complementary programme and proficiency test

Uppsala University organises a complementary programme and a proficiency test for pharmacists with a foreign degree. See the figure below to understand the differences between the two ways and requirements. Since a good level of Swedish is necessary for both ways more detailed and updated information can be found on the the Swedish version of website.

Ways to Swedish licence

Complementary programme

Proficiency test

How can I get in touch with other pharmacists?

On the website for the project ‘Farmaceutkompis’, you can read more about how to get in contact with other pharmacists.

Information in Arabic about pharmacists (PDF)