Freestanding courses

Most of our courses taught in English are only available for Master’s students or formal exchange students. We do have a limited number of courses taught in English that are open to all students who fulfil the requirements specified for each course. These courses are listed below.

The same application procedures apply to both programmes and courses at Uppsala University. Students apply online through the national central application system,, where you find information about how and when to apply.

Courses 2021/2022

Application deadline 15 January/16 August 2021

Summer courses 2020

Application deadline 16 March, 2020

International summer courses 2021 will be published in February 2021. Following summer courses were given 2020:

Distance education courses 2020/2021

Application deadline 15 April and 15 October, 2020

International distance education courses for the academic year 2021/2022 will be published in February 2021. Following courses are given the academic year 2020/2021:

Medicine and pharmacy:

Science and technology:

All freestanding courses

See all freestanding courses at Uppsala University and use the search engine filters to find additional courses taught in English. However, it is important to note that apart from the courses listed above, students must apply to freestanding courses through the Swedish online application website

Late application

After the application deadlines the application to Uppsala University’s courses closes. If there are spaces left in the courses and programmes, they will open for late applications in mid-July and mid-December respectively, after the first notification of admission. Late applications are handled in the order they are submitted, and as time permits.

Different admission rounds

The January/August admission round gives you the time you need to pay your tuition fees, apply for and be granted a Swedish residence permit (if required), find housing, etc. before commencing your studies at Uppsala University.

The April/October admission round gives you less time to organise your relocation to Sweden and is only recommended if you are a citizen of an EU/EEA country as you are not required to obtain a Swedish residence permit. If you are a non-EU/EEA student, you will most likely not have enough time to obtain your permit before the start of the semester.

Exchange studies

If you are an exchange student different application procedures apply. To find out about the courses offered for exchange students and how to apply, please view the information for exchange agreements.